Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Whose eyes are you looking through?

If you could describe yourself in 5 words what would those words be? Who do you see yourself to be? When you consider what God thinks about you, what do you think He would say? Do you think He sees you based on what you do or who you are?
How do you see yourself before Him? Do you think He looks at what you have done or not done?

What labels do you place on yourself? What have the messages of your life's path told you of who you are? Do you see yourself through what has happened to you, or what you have done? Once Mary Magdelene was invited into Christ's life did she continue to tell herself that she was a prostitute or did she finally see herself through the eyes of Christ? I think when Jesus said to her, "Go and sin no more" He was saying, "that's not who you are, don't go back to that place."

Your past does not define you. It is removed completely. God no longer remembers it. He no longer sees you in your sin. He sees you restored unto Him. He sees Jesus. After all He has told us that we are a new creation, the old is gone the new has come. It's as if you were reborn into who you were always meant to be. Do you see that?

I love the story of Gideon. It's a perfect picture of how we respond to God. Gideon is hiding in the winepress. The Israelites are being attacked and he is hiding out hoping no one will find him. An angel appears to him and says. "Gideon, O Valiant Warrior". He then proceeds to tell Gideon that he will be used to deliver the Israelites. He is God's Valiant Warrior. I hear in Gideon's response that he thinks the angel must be talking about someone else.

Gideon's response is much like our own when God calls us out, "but I am the least in my family and my clan is the weakest clan". He is basically saying, "I'm not who you think I am." Gideon sees himself in his weakness, his flesh, his past, his heritage. The angel sees him in his true identity, who he was created to be.

How do you see yourself? Do you see yourself in your weakness or in the strength of who you were created to be?

God does not see us the way we see ourselves. He sees us cloaked with Christ, completed in Him. When God looks at us He sees us in our restored state, who we were always meant to be.

We are the ones who have the vision problem.

What you do or have done does not define who you are. Your identity is bestowed by God and God alone. It's not given based on what you do. Your identity comes from who God always meant you to be. He has known of you for a long time. No man or woman can take your identity or give it. It was ordained by God, Himself. You are who He says you are.

God saw Gideon as his Valiant Warrior when Gideon could not see it for Himself.

God sees you and has a name He calls you. It is the truest you.

He does not want you for what you can do for Him. He wants you for who you are. He formed you to love you, just as you are until you could embrace who He made you to be.

Your birth was His invitation to be loved completely.

Ask God what name He would give to you. Ask Him how He sees you. He longs to tell you what He thinks of you.

Embrace what He says as the truest you.

After all, He knows you by name!

I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it. Rev. 2:17b

His Jewel

17 comments:

Lelia Chealey said...

HI Julie!
This is so good. I used to struggle big time with my past.
My uncle sent this to me one time in an email I have it taped on my computer:
"If you could see yourself through God's eyes you would see how truly beautiful you are. Also, you would look all around and say, where did my past go? If you really put Jesus in control He will take the "ugly" of your past and forge it into a shining weapon to be used on His behalf."
Just wanted to pass his sweet words on to you.
Thanks for a great post Julie!
Love,
Lelia

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Your true words are so uplifting.
They reflect the heart of God.
They stir within me such longing to find the name my beautiful God has for me. I spent way too much of my life seeing my life from the grasshopper mentality. The odds were stacked against me and I couldn't find the help I needed to break free or so I thought. Things were missing. Not so anymore. I am so aware of the presence of God in my life every day. I am free and being freed to no longer see life as a grasshopper surrounded by giants but as Joshua and Caleb did----we can do whatever God gives me the strength and fills my empty places to be and then do...oh, I don't know Julie...all I do know is this. My story no longer defines who I am. My identity is attached to HIM and HIM alone not any man nor ministry nor success. See! I told you your post incited me to an inner riot of such good praise and devotion to my wonderful God. You're still on the mountaintop of that retreat. Prayed that God would use you!!!! Just love the ways you embrace your beautiful God Whom you so honor. II Thes 1:11,12 - He's working a work of faith with power in you that you are glorifed in HIM and HE most certainly is glorified in you! Your words so honor HIM. I leave with that Gidoen thought that God called him a "mighty warrior" and He wasn't at that moment...or was he?

Kimberly said...

What a beautiful post, Julie! And one I probably need to read over and over and over! :)
"We are the ones who have the vision problem."
What a terrific statement! I have been praying that God will help me see how much He loves me, but I do need to also pray that He would correct my vision problem and help me see myself the way He sees me!
As always, you bless me tremendously!
Lots of love,
K

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Your comments you just left me
made me smile way down deep.
Thank You!!!

Laura said...

Oh, Julie, This speaks right to my heart!! You know what I have been going through, so much of this very identity struggle. God has been faithful and He has carried me so far. but it is still hard not to listen to those lies sometimes. It seems like the more progress I make, the more I am attacked. Something I have learned from Beth: this is a battle, and the enemy is afraid of what God wants me to become. This makes me ever more determined to claim the victory! You have been my encourager, and even though I haven't written about it in a while, I am marching on. thank you, Dear friend, for your sweet ways. You are a very special lady.
Laura

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

This is a great post. Just this afternoon I was sharing with a friend some of my struggles with self-contempt. Even though I know that the lies I believe do not define me, sometimes they're easier to believe. Thank you for the reminder to believe that what God says about me is true. He spoke a beautiful name to me several years ago, and I want to embrace it completely!

Julie, you always bless me with your words.

By the way, how is Hannah doing?

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

It's a struggle to always wear those "spiritual glasses" as I like to call it, especially when I am looking in the mirror. But your right-we have to learn to see ourselves as God does. What a gift to get to this point!
In his Graces~Pamela

Gretchen said...

Hello Julie,

I'm here via Mer. What a lovely post. This really resonated with me: "We are the ones who have the vision problem". How true that is. Unfortunately, I am always eagre to encourage others that this is the case for them, and not as good at realizing it for myself. Thanks so much for the reminder. Mer was right: this was a huge blessing to my day.

LIFESPEAKER said...

Such beautiful truth. I am the Fiance of Christ :-) I'm looking forward to the wedding.

Laura said...

Hello, Julie! I was thinking of that scripture in Revelation about the white stone today. Our little state is covered in a blanket of fresh beautiful snow. It reminded me of the promise that we are all made new in Christ. I cannot wait for the day our bridegroom comes! I am feeling joyful today as I take to heart the images of the white stone and the white snow. Blessings, Dear One!

LIFESPEAKER said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Graham Cooke is one of my favorites. I'm now one of his eastern regional intercessors. Someday I may get to sit in a conference to hear him in person. We have most of his CD teachings which encompass most of his books. As soon as we finish those we'll probably start on the books anyway.

Anonymous said...

Julie,

I love the way you share God's true heart with others. You're a tremendous blessing!

Love you so much!
Amy

valerie said...

Hi Julie,
I love this post.
I also love the one before it about your husband and his jobs. I feel the same way about my husband. He has always been such a hard worker and would do whatever it takes to provide for our family. When our kids were born and little, I didn't work outside the home and it was difficult financially. I remember one Christmas he was doing plumbing for a company that was building new homes. The weather was bad and and he had no work. No work...no pay. I know it was hard for him. That Christmas was one that stands out as being one of the most memorable though. My in-laws bought gifts for the kids and let us pay them back gradually. In about 1989 he was hired with a large company and it was wonderful to have a steady pay check and benefits. I wrote a post on my blog about a time of trust the summer of 2006 when the co. he worked for sold. He remained in a huge building with a handful of people remaining...just waiting...for over a year. Last Aug. he was hired with the new owners and got a raise, bonuses twice a year, more stock etc. God is faithful and He honors hard workers. God knew we both needed to learn to trust Hi.
I'm thankful your husband is doing well too.
Another part that blessed me was the precious encourager at your church who spoke to your husband.
God bless you and your family today,
Valerie

Van said...

Thanks for the probing questions that invite us to take another look at ourselves.

Laura said...

Julie,
What an amazing word picture God gave you those years ago! Thank you so much for sharing it with me. I still struggle with this issue at times, and your word picture will help me during those struggles. Sometimes, it is very difficult to step back and hand the reigns to God. But I have seen first hand His wisdom and power. What happened with my husband was a true blue miracle. One of the wonderful things about the whole experience was that my boys and I had been praying together for their daddy for several years. Right after Jeff got baptized, my youngest's Sunday school class was talking about answered prayer. He shared with his class that God answered his prayer for his daddy to start coming to church with us. That was a precious moment. Now my church is in conflict over Contemporary and Traditional worship, and I am relying heavily on the Lord throughout this process. It is so difficult to try to explain to the traditionalists that Contemporary Worship has changed my life. Because of this style of worship, my children now have a father who is a spiritual role model. Please pray for me to have love in my heart for these individuals! It has been a very difficult time. Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement.
Laura

Connie Barris said...

This is a daily battle....

so much that Paul felt it important to say, 1 Corinthians 5:31 "I die every day—I mean that, brothers—just as surely as I glory over you in Christ Jesus our Lord"

you are so right on girl....

I catch myself in that shame-based identity and I have to die to that and live out of who I really am...

Praise Him.....

You are awesome my friend... this is a beautiful post today and always...

A Captured Reflection said...

This was a very timely and anointed word you shared here! When I was sharing on My Memory Verse Monday, the Lord reminded me of Gideon and words spoken in the past and your post re-awakened some 'stuff' that had been dormant. Very timely!
http://prayingkaren.blogspot.com/2008/03/memory-verse-monday_10.html