Sunday, January 6, 2008

I saw God today

I saw the most endearing thing in church today. There is a sweet young couple that sits in the same place each Sunday. They are fairly new to the church. The husband had found us online and had been following the church for some time. He finally decided they should attend so they started coming. They are both rather quiet, though I believe she is more quiet than he is. They have a little girl about 3 or 4 years old. She's a beautiful petite woman. She came to our women's Christmas dinner and you could tell that it was a bit much for her. Yet she faced her fear and came amongst women she barely knew. My heart was drawn to her and the quiet, gentle spirit within.

Today they sat right in front of us, two rows up. As we stood in worship the husband was holding his daughter in his arms. We were singing a song about wanting "with all our hearts to worship God", Out of the corner of my eye I saw this beautiful woman, weeping. Overcome with emotion, she turned to her husband and buried her head in his side. She began to melt in the safety of his arms as they encircled about her, holding her close while she wept. All three of them clung together, just holding each other. It was a picture of the Trinity, three huddled together in intimate relationship. As the music played on, the husband grasped her hand and they knelt together at their seats and he prayed. It was so touching that that tears began to well up in my eyes as well. How sweet, how tender. What a beautiful, intimate display of love.

And then it hit me. It was a picture. As I watched the compassion, tenderness and protection of this man with his wife, I realized that that is Christ with me.

Today a picture was seared in my heart and mind. Christ as my husband is endeared to me with a heart of compassion, tenderness and protection. As I come to Him and melt in His arms, He gathers me up, clinging to me as I cling to Him. As we kneel there together, He carries me up to the Father with words that lift me up in intercession before the throne of the one who loves me forever.

A woman's response in worship was a God sighting for me today.

Beauty unveiled in the heart of a woman brought life to my heart.

May it bring beauty to your life today.

"A cord of three strands is not easily broken" Ecclesiastes 4:12b

Jewelz

8 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I read this post through tears of my own. Such a sweet picture of God holding us. Thank you for sharing!

Hey...love what you've done with your blog! I especially love the pics of your beautiful children.

I bought Rob Bell's book, Sex God, last year, but haven't read it yet. Tell me what you think when you're finished. And John's friend gave him The Shack before Christmas. I want to read it too!

Cheryl said...

You have such a beautiful place to visit. I really enjoyed my time here. I had tears also as I read your post. You really have a good way with words. Thanks for your visit to my place. God Bless!

Sharon Brumfield said...

I am so glad you stopped by for a visit.
It is great to meet new women who love God.
I love you post. The picture was so clearly presented and I will carry it with me as I go.
Thank you.
Sometimes we forget how real HE is.

Denise said...

It is a beautiful thing when we see God in the life all around us. As I grow older in years and older in the Lord I find that I see God in so many things.. I do not think that there such as thing as coincidence ... I believe that we have had an encounter with God... Thanks for the nice comment on my blog and it is nice to meet you and I will come back often...

Connie Barris said...

Hey... this was a precious post.. yes, This is what it would be like to be in His arms.. daily... what a beautiful picture you displayed for us to share...

I have not attended a Captivating seminar.. however, I do seminars along the same line for Grace Summit... www.gracesummitinc.org
but I loved the books by both he and his wife.. I did hear John Elredge speak in September and it was incredible...

Oh my the book the Shack.. I can't wait to hear what you think.. I was changed after reading it... I was in love even more with my Papa...smile...

Blessings my friend
Connie

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

There are people in my life who are "missing" me but my God never does and you so reminded me of that in this post. Thanks!

She Rose Up said...

Beautiful, beautiful picture, thanks for presenting it to us.

I found you over at Karen's.

P.S. Your daughter is really a beautiful girl, looks like you & her father have done well & she is off to a wonderful, adventuresome & fulfilling future! You gave her good roots & a great start!

Amy Wyatt said...

This was a great story. I also love that you are looking for God "sightings" in everyday life. I try to do the same. My blog is Signs, Miracles and Wonders and I enjoy telling others about all of the signs, miracles and wonders he performs for us everyday.
I would love to know how The Shack is. I almost bought it last week but was afraid it would be too intense.
Sweet Blessings to you.
Amy